WASHINGTON – Alliance Defending Freedom and Charlotte Lozier Institute made public Wednesday their latest annual report to Congress that identifies waste, abuse, and potential fraud by Planned Parenthood, state family planning programs, and other organizations. As in previous years, the report urges Congress to continue its investigation into the misuse of taxpayer dollars. The 2017 report, titled “Profit. No Matter What,” provides updated information, including new federal audits.
“Congress should do what the House of Representatives has twice voted to do: end taxpayer funding to Planned Parenthood, the nation’s most profitable abortionist, once and for all,” said ADF Senior Counsel Steven H. Aden. “Our updated report to Congress documents data from over 50 public audits that point to massive fraud, waste, and abuse by this billion-dollar abortion giant. In light of the now-established fact that nearly one in four Planned Parenthood businesses has been implicated in financial fraud or mismanagement, Congress has an opportunity—and obligation—to protect taxpayers.”
“Updates in this 2017 edition include new federal audits of state family planning programs in California, Texas, and Wisconsin, totaling over $2.5 million, and state audits of Planned Parenthood affiliates in Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. The Nebraska audit found a Planned Parenthood affiliate spending federal funds on abortion expenses in violation of federal and state law,” the report explains. “Charlotte Lozier Institute and Alliance Defending Freedom’s research strongly suggests that Planned Parenthood and its affiliates are engaged in a pattern of practices designed to maximize their bottom-line revenues through billings to complex, well-funded federal and state programs that are understaffed and rely on the integrity of the provider for program compliance.”
The report details the 51 known public audits or other reviews of Planned Parenthood affiliates’ financial data and practices. Some of the report’s key findings include the following:
- Planned Parenthood affiliates have been identified as the source of at least $12.8 million in waste, abuse, and potentially fraudulent overbilling and penalties.
- One audit uncovered $5.2 million in overbilling by two California Planned Parenthood affiliates; the average overbilled amount per audited year in a single audit was $94,409.
- Three federal audits specifically identify Planned Parenthood—and only Planned Parenthood—as the problem in state family planning program overbilling.
“The extent of waste and abuse in the nation’s family planning programs, and specifically in those operated by Planned Parenthood, is beyond disturbing,” said Charlotte Lozier Institute President Chuck Donovan. “This report joins earlier findings on issues of human trafficking, failure to report statutory rape, alleged violations of fetal organ trafficking laws, and other profound concerns that reinforce the need for Congress to reallocate funds to agencies that respect human life and put women first.”
Among the report’s recommendations are the following:
- Continue and complete investigations into Planned Parenthood and its affiliates’ and other abortionists’ use of federal funding and compliance with federal abortion funding limits.
- Investigate whether Planned Parenthood is double-dipping by billing Medicaid (and thus federal taxpayers) for services that other entities and individuals are already paying it to provide.
- Empower auditors and state Medicaid Fraud Control Units to investigate, prosecute, and recover overbilling by Planned Parenthood, its affiliates, and other such businesses.
- Update state False Claims Act laws according to the guidelines of the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the Inspector General to encourage legitimate whistleblowers to come forward.
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.
# # # | Ref. 40774